In my case, I’m making this to take an impression of my dog’s paws.
It’s a dead simple recipe, three ingredients.
You will want to remember that if it is going to be used with someone’s hands, feet, or paws, to wash the area impressed thoroughly with water. Salt can be abrasive and it can be caustic, even if it is Generally Recognized as Safe.
The recipe is:
- 1/4 cup water – approximately.
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
Preparation and use:
- To a mixing bowl, add Salt and Flour.
- Add water bit by bit until an even dough at a clay like consistency is achieved. It will be around 1/4 cup water depending on how dry your area is. Wet climates will need less water or longer curing time in the oven.
- Knead the mixture thoroughly until it is even
- Shape the dough to the thickness desired. I worked with the dough until it was around 1/2 inch or so.
- Bake at 200F or 100C for 3 hours.
- Note that thicker ornaments will require longer time in the oven. The bottoms may or may not have cured properly, but you can put it back in the oven once you get the ornament off of your forms.
You can paint or seal it as desired.
Or just have your dog stand on it.