This really shouldn’t be called a recipe. It should be called a Hack.
It is so ridiculously easy to make that I laugh at it.
It is so popular that the recipe is just about everywhere including on the sites for the companies that make the mixes.
I tried it with a bulk white cake mix, but the recipe I keep seeing everywhere calls for a “Box Of Cake Mix”. They are not specifying flavor. Use your favorite.
The cake mix can’t be one of those “Just Add Water”.
You need a cake mix that wants you to add an egg.
I used White, but a Yellow Cake mix would be fine. Choose a flavor that is complementary to the Pie filling you are adding.
I wanted Cherry this time, but I have done it before with other flavors. I have blueberry and lemon pie filling waiting in the wings for when I want to do it again.
Why do I have six cupcakes? I have a small Bundt pan and I didn’t want to risk a mess.
The recipe calls for either two layers, or a Bundt Pan. It was not very specific. I would say two 9 inch layers or even perhaps 3 8 inches, but I suspect that may be a bit thin.
Butter and flour your pans.
Bake at 350F / 180C for 35 minutes (or whatever metric equivalent you need to have your toothpick come out clean).
I mean that really is it. It is laughably simple.
- 1 box or 15 ounces of cake mix
- 1 can of pie filling – 20 ounces or 590 ML
- 3 large eggs
- Butter and flour your pan.
- Keep cupcake liner and pans aside for any extra cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- To a large mixing bowl add 1 box/15 ounces cake mix, 1 can (20 ounces) of pie filling, and 3 eggs.
- Mix the batter until smooth.
- Add batter to pans taking care not to overfill.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes and test with a toothpick.
- Make sure toothpick comes out clean
Icing or not. I have been putting Honey on top and I really do like that instead.
Serve and enjoy