Yes, I’m back on the whole bread baking thing. I needed Hot Dog rolls for some Sweet Italian Sausage I had grilled the night before, so I decided to make my own. They look a bit dark here, but they were pretty much perfect when I had them for lunch.
Relax, the recipe is a bit time consuming since you want to give this time to rise. All the liquids together needed time to allow the yeast to activate before joining it with the flour, so you may mix them when you begin to see the bubbles. They call this a Poolish, but you can call it whatever you wish.
Once separated, I allowed them to rise in an oven with the light on for an extra Two Hours before baking.
I made the recipe on the dough cycle in the bread machine and it turned out amazingly well.
- Mix Milk, Sugar, Beaten Egg, Butter, and Salt in a Microwave safe bowl.
- Warm the liquids until they are at the right temperature for yeast to process, 80-105F, 30-40C in the MIcrowave.
- Add the Yeast and stir until all of those ingredients are blended.
- Allow the Liquids to sit long enough for your yeast to begin to work 5-15 minutes.
- Add the Bread Flour to the bucket of a bread machine or your stand mixer.
- Add the Liquids to the Flour and mix well.
- Select Dough Cycle on the bread machine to get a silky smooth dough.
- When Dough is finished being mixed, place in bowl and allow to rise until double in size.
- Divide and Shape Dough into 10 parts in order to make Burger or Hot Dog Buns or smaller for dinner rolls, as needed.
- Place on Baking Sheet with Foil or Parchment and brush with egg wash or butter.
- Bake at 450F or 230C for 8 minutes and check every two minutes for golden brown.
The Ingredients are:
- 3 3/4 Cups Bread Flour
- 1 1/4 Cups (280mL) Milk (I actually used Powdered or Non Fat Dry)
- 1/4 Cup (56g) White Sugar
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 2 Tablespoons (28g) Butter
- 1 1/4 Teaspoons (16g) Active Dry Yeast
- 3/4 Teaspoon (14g) Salt